Thursday, November 5, 2009

Flashback: Nov 5, 2007














Nov 5, 2007

Zack's parents drove us to the airport. We were very early, so we sat at the gate and read for a while. Finally, we boarded the plane. We got settled into our seats (unable to get bulkhead, a big disappointment for my 6'5" guy, but we managed nonetheless).

And then it really hit me.

I looked at Zack. And I said something like, "This is it. This is the last time we'll go off as just the two of us. The next time we're in Atlanta, we'll have our son with us!" I think this was the moment when it really started to feel real. Everything up to this point had been exciting. But for me, this moment cemented all that we had done over the past 9 months.

At 4:40 PM ET our flight departed Atlanta, heading for Frankfurt Germany. We arrived in Frankfurt on time. Within 10 minutes of getting off the plane we were at the gate for our next flight. We waited for about 2 hours - in a sort of haze due to lack of sleep - and prepared for our next flight.

Destination: Kyiv, Ukraine.

3 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

What a precious memory! I am so thankful you all have sweet William and pray for the next blessing to be a part of your family!
Blessings!

Ken and Joy said...

Hey there! What a great memory...It was the same for us, when we were dropped off at the airport, that is when it hits you that everything you have been working for, is REAL!! William is such a cute kid, and it is great to see how "grown up" he is in just two years. Also - Congrats on your new adoption news!!! I am so excited to hear of more when the time comes. I think it is great what you are doing for Vera and I hope she will have a new family very soon.

Joy

Bella's Mommy said...

I do a lot of flash back post in November too, only ours was 6 years ago that we were in Ukraine, and we actually were introduced to our daughte on 11/5/03. Enjoy your memories of your journey to Ukraine.