Monday, April 25, 2011

Becoming Aware: the Stewart Family


As I mentioned last week, I'm starting a series of posts to make you aware.

But as I mentioned then, if you're not ready to become aware, don't read these posts. I mentioned this verse last week, and here it is in another translation:
"Rescue the perishing; don't hesitate to step in and help. If you say, "Hey, that's none of my business," will that get you off the hook? Someone is watching you closely, you know - Someone not impressed with weak excuses." Proverbs 24:11-12 (The Message)
The first story I'd like to share is the story of the Stewart family.

Craig, Gretchen, and their son Ari (Ari's in the blue shirt in the picture) live just a few minutes from us. And although we haven't met in person (and I really hope to change that!), they are often in my thoughts and prayers.

You see, this family now knows. They are no longer unaware. While surfing the internet in May of 2010, Gretchen's eyes were opened, specifically to the plight of special needs children in orphanages all over the world. And shortly after that, she saw a face that forever changed her life.

It was a little boy, almost 4 years old at the time. Now known as Ian, this little guy was living a half a world away. He had been placed in an orphanage. Why? He was born with Down Syndrome.

The Stewart family is now on a quest to bring Ian home.

International adoption is not easy, and it's not cheap. But God is bigger than monetary obstacles and paperwork and everything else that comes with adoption.

The Stewarts recently traveled to Ian's birth country for their first trip (this particular country requires 2 - 3 trips to complete an adoption). They've spent time with him and are head-over-heels in love with him. They've also become aware that he's in need of surgery, so they're seeking to get back to him as soon as possible.

In the meantime, they are in the U.S., waiting for the go-ahead for the second trip (which should include court). And as they wait, they're also working to raise the remaining funds for the adoption.

In this series, I will challenge you to help in one of three ways: Pray, Give or Go. It's between you and God how you respond, but everyone can respond in at least one of these ways.


Now you know a little of the Stewart family's story.

So how will you help this family?

No comments: